Here, you can read all the updates on this site since October 25th 2003 and some of the ones from September and August 2003 - the site has been around since November 2nd 2002, but unfortunately most of the updates from the first year were never archived. Be advised that some links might take you to outdated sections or something else that has been taken off the site - I do not necessarily endorse the content of any such sections.
08/22/17: Type Filtering
I've added filtering by type to the Favorite Pokémon Picker, by popular demand. In the process, I also made several other refinements:
- It's now easily possible for casual users to finish sorting every single Pokémon in the available list (since with the generation and type filters you can end up with quite a short list), so I actually made the interface account for that, explain that you've finished and let you reset, instead of everything just locking up suddenly.
- Somewhat similarly, I made it so that in those (previously rare) situations where you would previously have been given one single Pokémon which you had to pick (at which point it would automatically go into your Found Favorites), it'll automatically figure it out and just add that Pokémon to your list too. This is functionally identical, just less confusing interface-wise.
- You can now uncheck every generation/type, and it will just show a notice explaining that no Pokémon fit your criteria. Previously, it somewhat clumsily just didn't let you uncheck the last box.
- Alongside all this, I also significantly refactored some of the code in order to make it a bit more robust and easier to add more options in the future.
As with any significant code restructuring, it's possible there are bugs; I've tested it a fair bit, but as always, if you spot any odd behaviour, please let me know.
07/25/17: Picker Polish
The "Final evolutions only" box on the Favorite Pokémon Picker now actually works as intended, after having had a bug with Pokémon that gained final evolutions in a subsequent generation. If you had a previous picker state, the picker should offer to simply add the remaining Pokémon.
07/14/17: Fan Fiction Update
I've updated all the stories in my Fan Fiction section to be within the layout of the site proper, which probably makes for a nicer reading experience than the plain HTML files they used to be. This includes Morphic, which now also has links to the previous and next chapters on each chapter, hopefully making it a bit less of a hassle to read.
07/08/17: Sixth Movie Review Revamp
I've revamped yet another movie review, this time the one for Jirachi: Wish Maker. See, I really can do things in a vaguely reasonable amount of time! Maybe I can get the seventh movie review revamp out this month too (but then again, maybe not; I'm getting two friends visiting and going to America in between, so on second thought you probably shouldn't expect it until August).
06/13/17: Updated Pokémon Heroes Review
Remember how in 2015 (how on earth has it been that long, what is going on) I started revamping my Pokémon movie reviews? I've now finally finished revamping my Pokémon Heroes review, including adding some screenshots to illustrate it. Let's hope the next ones don't take as long.
06/04/17: Gen VII Capture Mechanics Update
When I analyzed the Sun and Moon capture routine, I overlooked a bit that appeared to suggest the ball bonus value for non-Beast Balls against Ultra Beasts was overwritten with 0.1x. I now believe I've verified this pretty thoroughly in-game; more info here. I've updated the calculator and capture mechanics accordingly.
05/03/17: New Quiz Scripts
I've been meaning to redo my free quiz scripts page for years; it was hopelessly confusing, needlessly made itself more confusing in order to support the incredibly far-fetched possibility of someone wanting to run the scripts on the server side with ASP, and the code it gave you was pretty bad. I've finally finished that rewrite now; the new quiz scripts are a lot better and easier to customize, and the instructions are far better organized; the added flexibility admittedly means there may be more instructions all in all than before, but I hope overall it's a significant improvement.
05/02/17: Capture Mechanics Fixes
It took a couple of days longer than I thought, but I've updated all of the catch rate calculators to handle changes in Pokémon data between games better, including properly implementing the stat changes in X/Y and Sun/Moon. Thus, now the Gen VI/VII calculator will have the Fast Ball get a bonus against Pidgeot, while the Gen III/IV calculator will not. It's a very minor thing that affects very little, but it's more robust and makes more sense.
I also fixed a bug that was causing the shake bar to not appear on the R/B/Y calculator if you had checked 'Show detailed report'. Again, please let me know if you spot any bugs.
04/29/17: Gen VII Capture Mechanics (and List Generator)
I finally managed to get my hands on the Sun and Moon capture routine, and it is... basically exactly the same as the sixth-generation one, as far as I can tell; however, Sun and Moon of course added new Pokémon and new (old) Pokéballs, and the ball bonuses for several older kinds of balls were rebalanced a bit. These changes are now detailed on the joint Gen VI/VII Capture Mechanics page and have been added to the Gen VI/VII Catch Rate Calculator. And yes, it appears it's impossible to catch Beldum in a Heavy Ball in Sun and Moon.
Note that I've actually yet to implement the base stat changes that happened in S/M into it, so there is a chance some catch rates could be affected for some Pokémon; I'll have to look into that tomorrow. As always, please let me know if you discover any bugs or oddities.
I've also finally updated the Pokémon List Generator with the Gen VII Pokémon and all five Alolan Pokédexes.
The Day of Cacturne in the Reign of Tapu Bulu, Season of the Earth: Actual Gen VII Zodiac
Obviously, yesterday's update was an April Fools' Day joke - but the actual Gen VII Zodiac is now up! This time around, every non-legendary final evolution gets its own day, which works out perfectly, because Game Freak loves me. As always, you can generate an image for your birthday:
The Day of the Backpacker in the Reign of Lana, Season of Akala Island: Alolan Zodiac!
The new Zodiac is finally up! The Alola region is a little different in a number of ways, so it felt appropriate to make the Alolan Zodiac a little different, too: instead of a Pokémon zodiac, it's a human zodiac, featuring the trainers of the Alola region! I hope you enjoy the new zodiac and backstory, and of course, as always, you can generate an image representing your birthday and show it off around the internet.
02/20/17: Pokémon Go Updates
The Gen VII Zodiac is in progress; I've been a little busy with other things lately, but it's coming along okay and should be up in the reasonably near future.
01/25/17: Minor picker stuff
Yet more Favorite Pokémon Picker: Ash-Greninja is now included in forms mode; I've fixed an, ahem, bug where Bug-type Arceus was incorrectly considered a "major" form, which it obviously shouldn't have been; and East Shellos and Gastrodon used to show the West form's sprites ever since the Gen VII update, which has now been fixed. If you're playing in "Major only" forms mode, the picker should automatically remove Bug Arceus from wherever it might appear in your state when it loads your state, and the Ash-Greninja addition will give you the usual dialog asking to either add it as not yet eliminated or reset your state. As always, let me know if there are any further issues that I haven't noticed.
01/13/17: More picker updates
Since I added forms mode to the Favorite Pokémon Picker, several people have asked me for a mode where you can choose between something like a Pokémon and its mega without having to also choose between all the forms of Arceus and Unown. Your dream has now come true with the "Major only" forms mode, which includes only those forms and gender differences that I deemed significant. Unfortunately these choices are pretty arbitrary, but I think it should work well enough for most people's purposes.
I also reduced the amount of text on the page and moved the options into a tab next to Found Favorites, which I hope makes the page a bit less cluttered overall; by all means tell me your thoughts on this change.
01/01/17: Happy 2017
It's finally 2017. It is widely agreed that 2016 was a bit lousy in the grand scheme of things, but hopefully we can make this one better.
On a purely personal level, though, I had a pretty good 2016, and I have some people to thank for that, as usual:
- Shadey, the softest loveliest.
- Negrek, for inviting me back, seeing Hamilton and Flight of the Conchords with me, reviewing every chapter of TQftL posted this year, the continually-excellent Salvage, some really fun drawing suggestions, Intro to Science 101, cheering me up with surprise Salvage extras, poking me about the Dave ramble, and generally cheering on my writing (and drawing) efforts. You are pretty great friend and pretty much made my year on several levels.
- elyvorg, for continuing to be wonderful, hosting me and visiting us, the Week of Manliness, Uncharted, all the long, long Skype chats, Oh! One True Destined Partner, Sir Ressentiment, and Pokémon Go trips.
- Dannichu for hosting me yet again, playing AAI2 with me, Happy Valley, Bake-Off, the Expo, and increasing the concentration of lesbians and the ocean on my Tumblr dashboard by about 2000%.
- surskitty, for generously hosting us, coming along to Flight of the Conchords, finally showing me Spirited Away, Pokémon movies, Saint Young Men, Katamari, and coming to visit.
- Zhorken, for visiting with surskitty, providing me with sprites and data that I don't have the know-how to rip, and generally being pretty awesome.
- Psychic for meeting up again (and the entire fanfic meetup crew, for that matter, especially Act and Michael for hosting), drawing suggestions and commenting helpfully on them, and being generally supportive and great.
- opaltiger, for being a great, supportive friend, all the talks ranging from silly to very serious, and keeping Truth going.
- Espeon, for the most glorious drawing suggestions, chats, and general encouragement. I hope you can finally come to the Expo in 2017!
- Umbramatic, for lots of silliness, talks, making some pretty glorious fanwork of my stuff which still amazes me, Bear No Fruit, Liberating Glamour, and other pretty adorable fanfics.
- Chibi Pika, for sharing my fifteenth ficiversary, Palkia Positivity, soldiering on with The Legendarian Chronicles and picking up the pace, and inspiring me to continue drawing with their art.
- ultraviolet and Music Dragon, for starting Telecod, and all the Telecod regulars. I can't overstate how delighted I am at its success and how it's kept the flame of the forum community alive.
- My parents, for everything.
- Game Freak, for twenty years of Pokémon, and for Sun and Moon, which were pretty excellent and more or less exactly what I wanted from the next main series Pokémon games.
- Niantic, for Pokémon Go, which for all its flaws still delights me.
- Habitica, for continuing to keep me motivated.
- Kattholt, the shelter where we got our cat.
- Everyone who made drawing suggestions to my artblog; so many of them have delighted me, challenged me and generally helped me.
- TCoD visitors, for still being here after all these years.
Either way, thanks for being with me for this past year, and I hope you all have a great 2017.
Page last modified October 10 2016 at 22:21 GMT